The first five years of a child’s life are critical, laying the foundation for future success in school and life. Raising Quality! helps San Joaquin County parents find high quality child care and early learning opportunities that will help unlock a lifetime of learning for their young children.
WHAT is Raising Quality!?
Raising Quality! is a Quality Rating and Improvement System, or QRIS, for early care and education programs in San Joaquin County. Funded by quality initiatives and coordinated by First 5 San Joaquin, Raising Quality! helps improve child care in our community by:
- Emphasizing the value of quality in early care and education
- Empowering parents to make well-informed decisions about the quality of care their children receive
- Giving child care providers valuable tools for improving their programs
- Establishing uniform standards of excellence in early care
Why does it matter?
Research shows that children who attend high quality child care programs are better prepared for school, have more success in reading and math, and are more likely to go to college. As parents, child care providers, educators and citizens, we have a responsibility to make sure all of our children have the very best early learning experiences.
Who is Participating in Raising Quality!?
Raising Quality! through IMPACT (Improve and Maximize Programs so All Children Thrive) is focused on licensed child care programs, public or private, that serve children ages 0 to 5. Current IMPACT funding is serving 87 programs that serve low-income families, and children who are non-English speakers, and/or have special needs. Eligible programs include:
- Child care centers or family child care homes
- State-funded preschool sites
- Head Start sites
- Title 1 sites
- General child care sites
- State-funded migrant sites
- Faith-based child care centers
Currently all available slots are full.
How does the Raising Quality! System Work?
Programs participating in Raising Quality! are evaluated based on factors that influence children’s healthy development, including:
- Environment and learning materials
- Adult interactions with children
- Training and education of staff
- Adult-to-child ratios and group sizes
- Parent involvement
Participants are provided with ongoing support and professional development, and continuous opportunities for quality improvement. They may also be eligible for awards and stipends to help them improve.
How does Raising Quality! benefit my program?
Participants in Raising Quality! have demonstrated that they are dedicated to providing the best in quality child care and education. They are committed to making their programs even better and are eligible for:
- Scholarships for staff at participating Raising Quality! IMPACT site (for details click here)
- Quality awards, ranging from $1,000 to $7,000 in recognition of achieving program benchmarks
How can I learn more?
Download the Provider Guide Brochure below.
Provider Guide Brochure