The first five years of a child’s life are critical, laying the foundation for future success in school and life. Raising Quality! helps San Joaquin County parents find high quality child care and early learning opportunities that will help unlock a lifetime of learning for their young children.
What is Raising Quality!?
Raising Quality! is a quality rating and improvement system for early care and education programs in San Joaquin County. Funded by quality initiatives and coordinated by First 5 San Joaquin, Raising Quality! will help improve child care in our community by:
- Emphasizing the value of quality in early care and education
- Empowering parents to make well-informed decisions about the quality of care their children receive
- Giving child care providers valuable tools for improving their programs
- Establishing uniform standards of excellence in early care
How do I select a high quality child care program?
This is a personal decision – the best child care program for your child might not be the best for another. In general, though, high quality child care providers:
- Know that learning begins at birth
- Offer learning activities for children
- Provide a safe and welcoming environment
- Engage children in fun, hands-on experiences
- Involve parents and families as their child’s first teacher
How does the Raising Quality! system work?
Programs participating in Raising Quality! are evaluated based on factors that influence children’s healthy development, including:
- Curriculum and learning opportunities
- Children’s interactions with adults
- Training and education of staff
- Adult-to-child ratios and group sizes
- Parent involvement
Raising Quality! is open to licensed child care programs, public or private, that serve children ages 0 to 5. Priority is given to programs that serve low-income families and children who are non-English speakers, and/or have special needs.
Participants are provided with ongoing support and professional development, and continuous opportunities for quality improvement. They may also be eligible for awards and stipends to help them improve.
How do I know if a child care program is participating in Raising Quality!?
All Raising Quality! participants are able to display the Raising Quality! seal. Based on their evaluations, participants are rated on a five tiered system, with the first tier (or level) indicating that the program meets all basic health and safety guidelines and is committed to improving. As the program works to achieve higher quality, it is rated at the higher tiers.
Ask your child care provider if he or she is participating in Raising Quality!, or look for the Raising Quality! seal.
Why does Quality Matter?
Research shows that children who attend high quality child care programs are better prepared for school, have more success in reading and math, and are more likely to go to college. As parents, educators and citizens, we have a responsibility to make sure all of our children have the very best early learning experiences they can.
How do I learn more?
Contact First 5 San Joaquin at (209) 953-5437 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Guide Brochure